Cooking, Travel and just Other Stuff

You have to understand. I come from a line of very crafty people. My sister paints, one niece can knit anything out of a ball of yarn...oh and she paints and wood carves and makes jewelery. The other niece designs things and then sews them and then my great niece...well we will just call her insanely crafty. They all have blogs where they show all of their wonderful things they do. So, that brings me here. I decided I wanted a blog too, but what to write about. I'm not insanely crafty, can't paint, don't wood carve, tried knitting-didn't work....hummm, what do I do? Well, I like to cook and travel and eat, so I thought maybe we can start there. My blog will be about recipes I've made, places I go and restaurants I eat at with a few other things thrown in along the way. I've also heard that writing is good for you brain, so I figure-as I'm getting older now-this could be a good thing. So anyway, if you find my rantings worth commenting over, I'd love to hear from you. If I post a recipe you like, please let me know, other wise you can keep your opinions to yourself. This, after all, is my blog to make myself feel better, to try and compete with my family, because I don't do anything crafty.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Adventures in Paradise......Day 3

So today was kinda a relaxing day. We got up and went to church in Lihue. For any friends interested, the church of Christ meets at 3164 Elua St. It is off Ahukini Road not to far from the airport. Wonderful group of friendly people. There phone number is (808) 245-2231 should you want to contact them for service times. After church we tried to find a place for breakfast. Breakfast is not easy to find on Kaua'i. Their are no Mimi's or IHOP's. We decided to drive up to Hanalei to a restaurant the guidebook had told us about.The Hanalei Dolphin Restaurant is right on the Hanalei River. The food was fabulous. I had fresh swordfish and  the Money Man had Ahi Tuna. Both were wonderful and the salads they served with them were huge. Lunch is a great time for this restaurant because the lunches are less expensive.
The Hanalei River-North

The Hanalei River-South

Lunch next to the river


If you want to try paddle boarding or kayaking, the Hanalei River is a great place to do that. We watched alot of people go by. I did not realize how many dogs loved to paddle board and kayak. One thing about the North side of Kaua'i that I noticed is that it looks like after the last Grateful Dead concert a lot of the Dead Heads settled here. There is a very eclectic group of people on the island. Julia Roberts, Pierce Brosnan and a couple other movie stars have homes there. A lot of retirees seemed to own property where we stayed. A small island with a lot of diversity.

After we had lunch we drove over to Hanalei Bay. It is a beautiful drive. One lane roads and bridges and the bay is stunning.

 One of the things you notice immediately when you arrive here is the chickens. There are more chickens than people and they are everywhere. Thank goodness at our condo they seemed to be scarce so we did not get woke up by them. They are very confused about when they are suppose to crow. City chickens! It was quite a funny thing to see 15 or 20 chickens in the grocery store parking lot. I couldn't get my camera out fast enough as we were driving by. Trust me it was funny.





They have no predators on the island except cats and cars and we didn't see a cat the whole time we were there. And from what we saw they move pretty fast away from cars. One of the locals told us they lovingly (tongue in cheek)call them the Kaua'i state bird.


After we had lunch, relaxed, watched the ocean and took a nap, we found the best ice cream we have ever eaten. It was in the guidebook as the best ice cream ever and it didn't lie. It's called Tropical Dreams and is made on the Big Island. Oh my goodness! It is amazing. The Macadamia Nut and the Dark Chocolate Cherry was incredible. Once we found it we went everyday. Right now it is in Kilauea but Dan and Dorthy will be moving the store to Kapa'a by the summer. Stop by and see them. Dan is Hawaiian friendly and loves to talk. Unfortunately, there is only one in the Mainland U.S. right now and that's in Salt Lake City. So if your going to Salt Lake City ya gotta go have Tropical Dreams ice cream. Dan did tell us they will be opening a store at the Ferry Building in San Francisco soon. It will be worth the drive when it does. I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment