Cooking, Travel and just Other Stuff

You have to understand. I come from a line of very crafty people. My sister paints, one niece can knit anything out of a ball of yarn...oh and she paints and wood carves and makes jewelery. The other niece designs things and then sews them and then my great niece...well we will just call her insanely crafty. They all have blogs where they show all of their wonderful things they do. So, that brings me here. I decided I wanted a blog too, but what to write about. I'm not insanely crafty, can't paint, don't wood carve, tried knitting-didn't work....hummm, what do I do? Well, I like to cook and travel and eat, so I thought maybe we can start there. My blog will be about recipes I've made, places I go and restaurants I eat at with a few other things thrown in along the way. I've also heard that writing is good for you brain, so I figure-as I'm getting older now-this could be a good thing. So anyway, if you find my rantings worth commenting over, I'd love to hear from you. If I post a recipe you like, please let me know, other wise you can keep your opinions to yourself. This, after all, is my blog to make myself feel better, to try and compete with my family, because I don't do anything crafty.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

It has been really busy....

I have not blogged anything in a long time. You see I have had the blessing of traveling this summer. We have been on some amazing trips and I have been so busy I haven't even had time to sit down and share some of my adventures with you. So today with a few down moments I will share with you the first trip of our summer. I hope you enjoy.

In June we drove to Morro Bay, CA. It is about a six hour drive from our house. We use to spend a few days there every summer when our son was young, but we have not been back in about fifteen years. I have missed it. For those of you that have never seen the California coast, you have been deprived. We have had the fortune of traveling around the world and I still believe California has the most beautiful coast. The most wonderful thing about our trip to Morro Bay was discovering it hadn't changed it those fifteen years we were gone.

We left for Morro Bay in the afternoon on July 4th. We had to wait for my granddaughter who was in a 4th of July parade in her first official roll as Tiny Miss Strawberry Queen.


 Sorry I digressed, but she was to cute not to put in here.






She did great. Waved to all the people and through kisses. It was so hot and she hung in there all the way to the end of the parade.












The drive down was uneventful, thank goodness. We have to drive down through the central valley to get there and that can be pretty hot during the summer. Once you leave the Valley and head over the coastal mountain range the temperature goes from 105 to 65. It's fabulous.

We got to Morro Bay in time for dinner and ate at a place called Flying Dutchman which has been there as long as I can remember.









The seagull also wanted to eat so Grampa showed Gabby how to feed them under the glass wall. She thought that was great fun.













Jackson looking out at the birds. He still had his flag he was waving at the parade.
Looking out into the harbor. The locals love to poise.
 This is what Morro Bay is most known for. This is Morro Rock. It is an amazing mountain of rock that is a bird sanctuary. You can see it from all over town and as you can see the sunsets are incredible.

 In the center of the Embarcadero area is a giant checkerboard. You can rent big chess pieces or checkers to play on it but that is quite expensive. One day when we went past there were two man playing on this giant board with regular size pieces. It was pretty funny but they were having a good time.

 


Jackson and Gabby thought it was a great place to play red light/green light.







They would run around the board and high five as they went past.
Julie(DIL), Logan(son), husband and our young friend from Oklahoma, Madisyn. It was a great night of relaxing family time. Life is good.

End of Day 1....more later.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like we were on the same page today. Glad you are back blogging. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Rhonda! Morro Bay is one of the places I've never been. I may have to take a trip out there the next time I go and visit my parents.
    Between you and Norma, I really want to see that area and continue the scenic photographic journey of that area!
    AND... Your granddaughter is SO cute! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're out and about having fun with family! That's what it's all about right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun! It's fun to finally see pictures of this trip :)

    ReplyDelete