Cooking, Travel and just Other Stuff

You have to understand. I come from a line of very crafty people. My sister paints, one niece can knit anything out of a ball of yarn...oh and she paints and wood carves and makes jewelery. The other niece designs things and then sews them and then my great niece...well we will just call her insanely crafty. They all have blogs where they show all of their wonderful things they do. So, that brings me here. I decided I wanted a blog too, but what to write about. I'm not insanely crafty, can't paint, don't wood carve, tried knitting-didn't work....hummm, what do I do? Well, I like to cook and travel and eat, so I thought maybe we can start there. My blog will be about recipes I've made, places I go and restaurants I eat at with a few other things thrown in along the way. I've also heard that writing is good for you brain, so I figure-as I'm getting older now-this could be a good thing. So anyway, if you find my rantings worth commenting over, I'd love to hear from you. If I post a recipe you like, please let me know, other wise you can keep your opinions to yourself. This, after all, is my blog to make myself feel better, to try and compete with my family, because I don't do anything crafty.

Friday, September 2, 2016

Two days in Tahoe

It's been a while since I have written anything, but Brent and I just got back from a short trip to Tahoe City so I thought I would just mention it here. I had been wanting to go up and stay at a cute little place called River Ranch Lodge & Restaurant. It is on Hwy 89 at Alpine Meadows Road. Old and Rustic. We spent last night there and it was just right. The rooms are done in a woodsy theme with excellent wi-fi and cable TV. The Truckee River flows right past the hotel.
The picture to the left is right off he patio. It's low this time of year but still pretty. The people were very friendly and the restaurant is worth the drive all by itself. The food was fabulous, not inexpensive, but amazing. It is a farm to fork restaurant and they serve it in a beautiful plating. We didn't make a reservation and did manage to get a window table but for a Thursday night it was pretty packed. Would definitely make a reservation if it was on the weekend. The other thing that is great for you bikers or if your like us, walkers, the paved trail along the Truckee River is right in front of the hotel. You can start there and bike forever. Tahoe City itself is 3.5 miles from the hotel and then you can either go up Hwy 89 or 28 for a very long walk or ride.We did almost 3 miles on Thursday night before dinner. It was very pretty. Perfect temperature.

So if you want to take a couple of days, cuz that's all you have I highly recommend staying here. On Friday and Saturday night the hotel has a band and food on the patio. If you get a room with a balcony you can sit on the balcony and listen to it. If you want to check it out here is the link:http://www.riverranchlodge.com/home      

The other thing we wanted to do was do some hiking. Today we hiked into Antone Meadows. It is off of Hwy 28 in the Burton Creek State Park. The whole loop was 6.1 miles and we did it in 2 hours and 44 minutes which is pretty good for a couple of old people. Moderate climb with mostly soft paths but in a few places was a little rocky and uneven. When you get toward the end you can catch glimpses of the lake. Beautiful scenery, great day. If you like to do Tahoe and you like to hike, I highly recommend a book called Best Easy Day Hikes Lake Tahoe by Tracy Salcedo-Chourre and published by Falcon Guide. 
Antone Meadows



  
After we were done hiking we were going to get a bite to eat in Tahoe City, but with the upcoming holiday weekend it was already busy. I Yelped restaurants in Truckee and this seafood restaurant popped  up. Seafood in Truckee? Really? Oh my goodness!! Best seafood ever. Better than places in San Francisco. Fresh from all around the country. It is also a fish market if you want some fish for home. The restaurant itself has very limited sitting inside but today we could sit outside. I would order it and eat it in the car it was that good. I had the crab cakes with a salad and a side of fries (the fries were so good!) and Brent had swordfish kabobs with cold slaw and fries. Morgan's Lobster Shack & Fish Market. Five Star yum!!!
Hope you all have a great weekend. Take care, Rhonda

1 comment:

  1. Rhonda, what fun! And you take such great photos! And I am SO impressed that you are still writing and sharing your time through the blog. Perhaps I should return to writing on mine as well... :-}

    ReplyDelete