Cooking, Travel and just Other Stuff

You have to understand. I come from a line of very crafty people. My sister paints, one niece can knit anything out of a ball of yarn...oh and she paints and wood carves and makes jewelery. The other niece designs things and then sews them and then my great niece...well we will just call her insanely crafty. They all have blogs where they show all of their wonderful things they do. So, that brings me here. I decided I wanted a blog too, but what to write about. I'm not insanely crafty, can't paint, don't wood carve, tried knitting-didn't work....hummm, what do I do? Well, I like to cook and travel and eat, so I thought maybe we can start there. My blog will be about recipes I've made, places I go and restaurants I eat at with a few other things thrown in along the way. I've also heard that writing is good for you brain, so I figure-as I'm getting older now-this could be a good thing. So anyway, if you find my rantings worth commenting over, I'd love to hear from you. If I post a recipe you like, please let me know, other wise you can keep your opinions to yourself. This, after all, is my blog to make myself feel better, to try and compete with my family, because I don't do anything crafty.

Monday, April 8, 2013

Need some Lycopene and Beta Carotene.....Try Tomato Sweet Potato Bisque!

So I have been searching for a long time for a really good tomato soup recipe. I have tried a lot and even found  one that I really liked but it wasn't Money Man's favorite. So I kept searching. Well a couple of months ago Good Morning America had a guest chef on and she did this Tomato Sweet Potato Bisque. It is so yummy and so good for you. Everybody I have made it for has loved it. So for all the people who have been asking, here is the recipe. I have deleted and added a couple of things after making it a few times, but the recipe is from Chef Carla Hall.

Tomato Sweet Potato Bisque
2 Tblsps. olive oil
3 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
1 jalapeno chile- stemmed, seeded and chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tsp thyme
4 to 6 fresh basil leaves
1 14.5 oz. can diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 qt. vegetable stock, unsalted
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
                                                                                    1/4 tsp. cinnamon
                                                                                    1/2 cup heavy cream
                                                                                   
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until just hot. Add the carrots, celery, onion and salt. Saute stirring occasionally until the onions just turn translucent.
Add the jalapeno, garlic, thyme and basil. Cook stirring occasionally about 7 minutes. Stir in the can of tomatoes, vegetable stock sweet potatoes and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until sweet potatoes are very soft, about an hour. Let the soup cool slightly.
Using an immersion blender, puree until very smooth. Stir in the cream and reheat over low heat. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! I need to file this away for next winter. Soup time is over here....

    ReplyDelete